Today, more and more people are eating organic food. The concept of organic food is of interest to everyone. The ideals of organic food appeals to most people because of its inclusive nature.
Here is a short introduction to the concepts behind organic food:
A friend asked me this question: “Are all organic foods considered Sattvic?”
The term “Organic” is a huge umbrella that applies to a wide range of sustainable farming practice. Organic is a certification of practice. These are earth-friendly, life-positive biologically balancing farming practices that are regulated by the government.
Below we lost some of the immediate benefits of eating organic food.
- Higher Nutrient Content: Organic foods are grown in soil and use water that is fresh and pure. They are also grown with natural fertilizers such as manure and compost, which provide essential nutrients to the soil, leading to the growth of healthier and more nutritious crops. It is possible that organic foods have different taste and higher nutrient content due to the care taken at every step of production.
- No Harmful Chemicals: Organic foods are grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, which can have harmful effects on human health and the environment. Many of these chemicals that are harmful for insects are also harmful for human beings in the long run. Some of the chemicals used as pesticides have been identified as carcinogen (cancer causing) and can cause other problems such as reproductive issues, respiratory problems, and more.
- Improved Taste: As mentioned earlier, organic foods are often said to taste better than non-organic foods due to the natural and traditional farming methods used to grow them. From cultivation to harvest, organic crops use methods that preserve the natural flavors, which are often lost in conventional farming.
- Fresher Produce: Organic foods are often fresher as they are grown closer to the point of consumption, reducing the time it takes to transport them. Consuming locally grown crops reduces the carbon footprint and increases sustainability. When we consume locally grown organic products we help to reduce spoilage and nutrient loss and also food wastage.
- Environmental Benefits: Organic farming helps to reduce pollution of the soil, water, and air. It also helps to conserve water, reduce soil erosion, and foster healthy ecosystems. By reducing the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides and adopting natural farming practices, organic farming supports a more sustainable and eco-friendly food system.
- Better for Animals: Organic meat, dairy, and poultry products come from animals that have been raised in humane and healthy conditions. These animals are fed with organic feed and have access to outdoor grazing areas, ensuring that they live a stress-free and healthy life.
The term “Sattvic” refers to a quality that is inherent in all beings, including plants, animals, and the food we eat. It includes the way food is grown, procured, prepared, and eaten. Sattvic foods are light on our body. We don’t feel ‘heavy’ after eating sattvic food. Sattvic food doesn’t make us emotional. Following Sattvic Method for eating brings harmony in our system, clarity in our thoughts and perception.
Here are some benefits of following Sattvic Method for eating:
- Improves overall health: A sattvic diet focuses on fresh, whole foods that are rich in nutrients, antioxidants and other beneficial naturally occurring compounds. This can help boost your overall health by promoting healthy digestion, reducing inflammation, improving mental clarity and boosting your immunity.
- Promotes emotional balance: Sattvic Method promotes foods that are believed to have a calming effect on the mind and body, helping to promote emotional balance and inner peace. This can help reduce stress, anxiety and other emotional issues.
- Enhances spiritual growth: Sattvic foods are considered pure, light and easy to digest. Contrary to the popular belief, feeling hungry is a symptom of wellness. Eating easily digestible, energetic food is known to enhance spiritual growth. By following a sattvic diet, we may be able to discover the purity within us, deepen our spiritual practice and connect with our higher self.
- Improves digestion: Sattvic foods are easy to digest and help to cleanse the digestive system, which can improve digestion and prevent digestive issues such as constipation, bloating and gas.
- Increases energy levels: Sattvic foods enriched by energy when cooking and thus the nutrients level can remain high. Energized sattvic food can help to boost our energy levels and improve our overall vitality. This can also help us maintain positive thinking and remain alert throughout the day.
- Anti- aging: Sattvic Method offers recipes and food that are rich in anti-oxidants and thus help us keep young. Traditionally, Sattvic Method regulates the amount of food by upavasa and it helps us stay younger. To know more about upavasa read this blog post.
The truth is we can benefit from both organic and sattvic food. We can choose organic produce and prepare them the sattvic way. With that, we will benefit from both the organic and sattvic choices that are available for us. Let us eat sattvic foods every time and vote for our enlightenment!