- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium sized potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 5 rotis or tortillas
To make from scratch—
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 2 tablespoon solid coconut oil or vegan butter
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 cup (or less) cold water
For wash —
- 2 tablespoon vegan milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted coconut oil
Make the chickpea-potato filling–
- Add chickpeas in a heavy bottom pot with water. Cover and cook at medium heat for 30 minutes. Add potatoes, turmeric, grated ginger, chili powder, pepper corn, and salt. Cover and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Ensure that all the water has evaporated. If you have cooked chickpeas (or using canned chickpeas), start with potatoes and add chickpeas when potatoes are half-cooked.
- When the chickpeas-potato are cooked, add cilantro and lime juice. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add all-purpose flour in a bowl, sprinkle salt and ajwain. Mix well. Add butter or coconut oil and mix with finger tips until the flour looks grainy. This produces a crisp crust.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cold water and knead the flour into a stiff dough. Add spoonful’s of water to knead. Ensure that the dough is not wet.
- Cover and set the dough aside while you make the filling.
- Pinch of small lime sized dough and roll into a thin round, about 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Cut the circle in the center and make two semi-circles.
- Smear water along the edges of each semi-circles. Bring the edges together to form a cone. Press with your fingers to seal the edges.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling into the cones. Seal tight, pressing along the edges.
- Prepare the rest of the samosas the same way. Place them on a baking sheet sprayed with oil or cooking spray.
- Mix oil and nondairy milk with a spoon. Brush the tops of the samosas lightly with this mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350-degree for 15 minutes or until the edges of the samosas are golden-brown.
- Flip the samosas once and coat the other side of the samosa with wash. Return to oven and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Let samosas stand for five minutes before serving.