Copper or clay vessels are the best types of vessels to make rasam. It is not possible to make authentic sattvic rasam in microwave. Please do not use plastic utensils or vessels to store or make this recipe.
- Rasam powder, 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind, 1 medium sized lime
- Turmeric, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Water, 4 cups
- Pureed dal, 2 cups
- Curry leaves, 5 (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, chopped, 1 tablespoon (optional)
- In a copper-bottom vessel, add water, tamarind, turmeric, rasam powder, and salt. Allow to reduce boil for 20 minutes at medium heat.
- When the solution has reduced to about half, it will turn brown, like Earth. Add pureed dal and stir well. Top with curry leaves.
- Reduce the heat to low flame and allow it to come to a gentle boil, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Remember to offer the food to cosmos by chanting Gayathri mantra before eating.