Stove-top preparation of #Upma takes less than 20 minutes to make. This recipe provides a hearty single dish #meal.
- 1 tablespoon #organic #coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/4 cup Spanish peanuts (optional)
- 6 red chilies, broken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon grated #ginger
- 2 pepper corns
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 4 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Optional garnish: Chopped cilantro leaves
- In a large pan, add coconut oil, chana dal, #Spanish peanuts (if using), red chilies, cumin seeds. Cook in low heat until the peanuts or chana dal is roasted.
- Add water, tamarind juice, salt and mixed vegetables to the same pan. After the vegetables have cooked for few minutes, add bulgar wheat.
- Cook at medium heat, stir frequently. This step takes about 10-15 minutes depending upon your stove. Add more water if necessary.
- Add pepper corn and keep cooking until the wheat is cooked. Add ghee and chopped cilantro leaves (if using).
- Serve warm with tasty sides. See serving suggestions below.