This recipe is prepared especially on Thiruvadirae and during the Pradosham evenings. This light, sweet recipe is a perfect way to end a fast or include in a feast. Know more about Thiruvadirae festival in this blog post.
- Rice, 1 cup
- Water, 4 cups
- Jaggery, 2 cups
- Water, 3 cups
- Moongdal, 1 tablespoon
- Ghee, 2 tablespoons
- Cashews, 1 handful (about ¼ cup)
- Wash and soak rice in 4 cups of water for 30-60 minutes.
- Allow the rice to drain in a strainer or a bamboo basket. This can take up to 60 minutes.
- In medium heat, use a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the rice for until it turns golden in color.
- Allow the rice to cool and grind it to a smooth powder. We used a blender. You can also use a stone vessel to pound the rice into smooth powder.
- In a heavy bottom pan add 3 cups of water and 2 cups of jaggery and 1 tablespoon Moongdal.
Check out the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xOWWdnsgjk
Serving suggestion: Serve with aviyal, puzhukku, sampangi pitlay, or eggplant saung