Kanji is a type of soup that is made with variety of ingredients. In this recipe, rice kanji is prepared with yogurt. You can prepare it with milk, or vegan milk or vegan yogurt. If you have molagapudi or lemon pickle, you can stir it in the Kanji. Enjoy bowlful of Kanji for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They also make a hearty snack or a brunch recipe. You can make it over stove top or in instapot.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or flakes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 cups milk or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Soak rice in warm water for 20-60 minutes
- Drain water and break the rice coarsely in a blender. Do not add any water.
- Use this rice for the next steps. You can also use broken rice if you have it.
- Instapot method:
- Place broken rice and 4 cups of water in the Instapot.
- Add salt, sesame seed, ginger and crushed pepper corn.
- Cover and cook on brown rice setting for 10-15 minutes.
- Follow the steps in Finishing to complete the recipe.
- Stovetop method:
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in a Dutch oven or heavy bottom vessel.
- Add broken rice, grated ginger, crushed peppercorn. Cover and cook stir frequently.
- Turn off heat when rice is cooked.
- Follow the steps under finishing to complete the recipe.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add coconut oil, red chili powder, and turmeric. Turn on low heat for 30-45 seconds. Turn off the flame.
- Add to the rice mixture.
- Stir in milk or yogurt and chia seeds.
Serving suggestions: Serve rice kanji with Sattvic Potato Rice, Mung dal chutney, Plantain fry, and Stringbeans fry.