Ragi, finger millet, is a healthy cereal. It is usually taken for lunch at the middle of the day. It is cooked in many ways. Kanji, soup, with ragi can be made with jaggery or salt. This version is the salted soup. Kanji can leave you feeling full. This is a perfect recipe for Nirahara Samyama or liquid diets.
- 1/2 cup ragi
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted crushed cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a pot, add water, salt, and chopped potato. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Mash potato well with the water.
- Add crushed cumin seeds and spoonfuls of ragi powder until the half cup of ragi flour is emptied.
- Stir vigorously, until all lumps are dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to boil. Continue to stir vigorously.
- Serve hot with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
Serving Suggestion: Kanji is usually taken with a vegetable on the side. If you are not on liquid diet, eat Kanji with Pan-charred bittermelon, easy eggplant, okra crisp, and stuffed dosa.