- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons Channa dal
- 1 tablespoon tamarind extract or 1 marble sized seedless tamarind
- 4 red chilies
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- If you are using desiccated coconut, soak the coconut in hot water for 10 minutes.
- In a pan dry roast Channa dal and red chilies for 3 minutes in medium heat.
- Add Channa dal, red chilies, peppercorn, ginger and tamarind in a blender. Top with coconut.
- Grind until smooth. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove the chutney into a bowl. Add more salt if necessary. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Consume chutney the same day it is prepared. If you plan to save it, add less water and store it in the refrigerator promptly.